Re: Personal Oracle and Oracle SQL...

From: Jonathan Gennick <gennick_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 1998 04:06:34 GMT

On Fri, 26 Jun 1998 20:57:37 GMT, "John J. Gill" <jgill_at_taxlaws.com> wrote:

>Can anyone advise the approximate cost of Personal Oracle and what OS it runs
>on ?

I believe the cost is $400, or close enough to that. You can go to Oracle's web site and check the Oracle store to be sure. Expect to pay about that much again if you want a support contract. Personal Oracle runs on NT and Win95. Win 3.1 may still be supported, but I'm not sure of that.

In your earlier note you asked about how close the interface is to the standard oracle product. As far as writing SQL queries, and PL/SQL stored procedures, it's exactly the same. I work with developers who regularly develop against Personal Oracle and deploy against the real thing. The command line utilities, such as SQL*Plus, the export/import utility, etc are the same. The GUI utilities, used for administration, are not.

One caveat. Personal Oracle8 includes NONE of the new object oriented features that the Enterprise version does. I found this out the hard way.

Once you have Personal Oracle installed on your PC, you can use the client software to attach to network databases as well. I use the same SQL*Plus (and other utilities) on my laptop for Personal Oracle as well as for hitting our various Enterprise Server instances. Received on Fri Jun 26 1998 - 23:06:34 CDT