Re: Personal Oracle 8 & Developer 2000

From: Stephanie Wood <steph2000_at_home.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 1998 03:29:08 GMT

I've successfully connected an application written in Developer 2000 to a personal Oracle database. I've installed this scenario on 3 or 4 separate lap
tops (windows 95 and NT 4.0). I've had various degrees of problems but it usually
comes down to the tnsnames.ora file (located in the install directory\net80\admin).

Have you gone thru the Oracle Net8 Easy Config? Did you review the entry for the local database? The alias for it is:

Beq-local.world

I changed this to Local.world and then used it as the connect string and it worked fine.

2: is also suppose to denote the local database. I would try the following:
1. Connect using:
.....username/password_at_2:

2. Or, Beq-local.world is your alias for the local database. I changed this to be called: local.world
and then used the connect string:
.....username/password_at_Local
and it worked. I'm sure that it's more straight forward than that.

3. Make sure that your SID is ORCL. Did you name your database something else? If you
did you'll need to change this parameter in the tnsnames.ora file.

...Part of tnsnames.ora file:
Beq-local.world =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =

        (ADDRESS =

(PROTOCOL = BEQ)
(PROGRAM = oracle80)
(ARGV0 = oracle80ORCL)
(ARGS = '(DESCRIPTION=(LOCAL=YES)(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=beq)))')
)

    )
    (CONNECT_DATA = (SID = ORCL)
    )