Re: order by in reports

From: Steven C. Kondolf <skondolf_at_frontiernet.net>
Date: 25 Jun 1998 23:53:42 GMT

I'm fairly new at reports 2.5 also but yes, you can set the order by at runtime.

The way I've done it is to set a bind variable as a user-defined variable with static values so that a pick list is generated. Then, in the "after form" trigger write a plsql routine to set the bind variable to an order by clause string depending on what is chosen.

In your sql query use a lexical reference by preceding the variable with &.

Example:

user defined variable = orderstring

     static choices defined are 'Item' and 'Description'

after form trigger:

begin
  if :orderstring='Item' then
    :orderstring:='order by item;';
 else if :orderstring := 'Description' then    :orderstring := 'order by description;'; end if;

In your query you'd have:

select blah, blah, blah
from blah, blah
where blah, blah
&orderstring

The &orderstring will substitute the contents of orderstring at runtime.

On Thu, 25 Jun 1998 02:27:16 +0200, "c. bretterklieber" <cb357_at_yahoo.com> wrote:

>I'm fairly new to oracle reports; and this is something I need to know:
>
>Is there a possibility to determine the sort order at runtime?
>
>TIA,
>
>cb.

Steve
skondolf_at_hatespam.frontiernet.net