Re: need help closing oracle connection in VB

From: Michael Peponis <peponmc_at_concentric.net>
Date: 25 Jun 1998 18:11:36 EDT

On 25 Jun 1998 15:08:12 GMT, imageapps_at_aol.com (IMAGE APPS) wrote:

>I was wondering if anyone could help me with this problem. I am connecting to
>a remote Oracle database, doing a query, then closing my database connection
>using the close method (<databasename>.close), but the database administrator
>on the other end of my connection says that I am still logged in to the
>database. Is there some special ODBC logout command I'm not aware of? If I
>log in again, the same connection is used, so I'm not getting multiple
>connections, but I don't want an unused connection just hanging open (it
>doesn't seem to time out). If I terminate my application, the connection is
>closed as well, but I want to be able to close the connection without
>terminating the application. If anyone has any suggestions, please email
>dissupport_at_aol.com -- my apologies if I am posting in the wrong place, etc.,
>this is my first use of a newsgroup. Thanks.

Could be a number of issues, ODBC dirver not up to spec, you have more than one connection open and don't realize it(don't close the connection, then ask the DBA how many connections you have open)

VB/VBA applications are really bad this way if you use bound controls.

Given that when you terminate your application, all the connections are closed is a good indication to me that it's a coding/architecture bug somewhere. Received on Thu Jun 25 1998 - 17:11:36 CDT