Oracle 7.3.3 & Oracle 8.0.4 on Sun Solaris.. Can they run together?

From: Vlad N. Sushkov <sushkov_at_everest.bim.anl.gov>
Date: 1998/06/24

Hello to everyone!

I am going to install Oracle 8.0.4 Server Enterprise Edition on Sun Solaris 2.6. We have already Oracle 7.3.3 running on this platform.

As far as I could notice from Oracle Installation Guide for Sun Solaris, it is ( theoretically ) possible to have 2 different Oracle releases installed at the same machine..

The question is:

some of the configuration files seem to overlap, as
/var/opt/oratab
/opt/bin/oraenv
/opt/bin/dbhome

( Those are common for the two releases ). I do not want to crash the production databases developed for Oracle 7.x running at the same time..

ARe there any workarounds?

Any hints or comments would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Vlad Received on Wed Jun 24 1998 - 00:00:00 CDT