Help! Redo logs destroyed

From: Dan Lipofsky <danlip_at_cyc.com>
Date: 1998/06/24

We are running Oracle 7.1.3 on a DEC Alpha with OSF1 v3.0, and are in a very bad situation.

We lost a disk which contained our redo logs. None of the data file were damanged, only the .rdo files. HOWEVER, oracle refuses to start up without these files.

Any ideas would be appreciated. The basic problem is that until it can open those files and get the info, it wont let me drop them, reset them, or anything else.

Here is a bit from the startup.log file:

SQLDBA> Connected.
SQLDBA> ORACLE instance started.
Database mounted.

ORA-00313: open failed for members of log group 1 of thread 1
ORA-00312: online log 1 thread 1: '/u03/ORACLE/TST8A/usoft8_01b.rdo'
ORA-07360: sfifi: stat error, unable to obtain information about file.
DEC OSF/1 (AXP) Error: 2: No such file or directory Attempting to dismount database........Database dismounted. Attempting to shutdown instance........ORACLE instance shut down.

Here are a few of the commands I have tried which didnt help any:

alter database drop logfile group 1;
alter database drop logfile member '/u03/ORACLE/TST8A/usoft8_01b.rdo'; alter database open resetlogs;
alter system checkpoint;
(Oracle 7.3 has "alter database clear unarchived logfile", but that doesnt work under Oracle 7.1.3. Too bad, its probably what I want).

We have old backups with redo logs on them, but it doesnt help because the sequence numbers do not match.

Several DBAs I talked to were unable to help. There must be a way out of this!!