Re: Replace carriage return with space

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 01:27:03 GMT

A copy of this was sent to madhu.moza1_at_jsc.nasa.gov (if that email address didn't require changing) On Wed, 24 Jun 1998 21:43:58 GMT, you wrote:

>I am trying to create comma delimeted file from the oracle database.
>One of the columns in the table has text with carriage returns in it
>When I try to look at the output of the query file from eXcel, the text in
>that column is being treated as separate records. The eXcel file does not
>come out in the right format. I want to replace carriage returns
>with spaces. How will I do it using SQLPLUS functions.
>There is lot of data in the table and is entered by the users.
>
>I need help as how to replace carriage returns in text with spaces.
>
>Thank you
> Madhu Moza

select translate( some_column, chr(10)||chr(13), ' ' ) from some_table

that will change Linefeeds (ascii 10) and Carriage returns (ascii 13) into a blank...

>http://www.dejanews.com/ Now offering spam-free web-based newsreading

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Government
Herndon VA

Anti-Anti Spam Msg: if you want an answer emailed to you, you have to make it easy to get email to you. Any bounced email will be treated the same way i treat SPAM-- I delete it. Received on Wed Jun 24 1998 - 20:27:03 CDT