SQL*Net listener problem - Help appreciated

From: Ursula Richens <uar_at_deakin.edu.au>
Date: 1998/06/23

Hi folks,

         I have a problem with our production SQL*Net listener. Twice in the last two weeks it has refused any new connections from a certain time during peak usage (eg late morning). Anyone already connected is fine, however it refuses any new connections returning the message: TNS-12203: TNS:unable to connect to destination. You can't even do a status check on the listener from the server using
'lsnrctl status LISTENER_PROD'. It just sits and waits without returning
anything other than the lsnrctl banner and the 'Connecting to (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=IPC)(KEY=FINPROD.world))' message. ctrl-c is needed to cancel. 'lsnrctl stop LISTENER_PROD' won't work either. I have to kill the process and start it up again. It is then alright until the next time.
This is the case when trying to connect via sqlnet using sqlplus on the server itself, and via clients, so it is not a problem with the 'ora' config files which have not been changed recently anyway. Especially when the training and test databases which get a lot less use are fine and use the same 'ora' config files.
I've turned admin tracing on for the client, server and listener to see if the trace or log files can give extra info but they don't. Running:
Oracle Server 7.3.3.4
Solaris 2.5
lsnrctl for solaris v2.3.3.0.0
Oracle Financials 10.7 10SC v16.1
User connections via listener upward of 80.

'netstat -n' indicates a CLOSE_WAIT status, amoung others, for the
listeners port (1522). See below:
TCP
   Local Address Remote Address Swind Send-Q Rwind Recv-Q State

-------
10.1.1.100.1522      10.1.16.61.1030       8760      0 17215      0
ESTABLISHED
10.1.1.100.1522      10.1.1.100.35831      8192      0 32520      0
CLOSE_WAIT This however only indicates to me that the listener port is possibly hung?

Any help much appreciated.

Leigh Satchell
Information Technology Services
City of Greater Geelong. Received on Tue Jun 23 1998 - 00:00:00 CDT