UNIX create database problems HELP!!!

From: <mandrew_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: 1998/06/23

I want to create a new database and I will list every step I have done.

$ ORACLE_SID=devl
$ export ORACLE_SID
$ echo $ORACLE_SID

devl
$ svrmgrl

Server Manager version ...

SVRMGR>connect internal
connected to an idle instance
SVRMGR>startup pfile=/oracle/product/732/dbs/initdevl.ora nomount; ORACLE instance started.

Total System Global Area       4424576 bytes
Fixed Size                       38904 bytes
Variable Size                  4086664 bytes
Database Buffers                102400 bytes
Redo Buffers                    196608 bytes
SVRMGR> create database;
ORA-01501: CREATE DATABASE failed
ORA-01526: error in opening file '?/dbs/sql.bsq'
ORA-07391: sftopn: fopen error, unable to open text file.

I am trying to just create a simple database. Before I was running scripts that specified logfiles and datafiles, now I just want to see if it works and so far it does not.

I would really appreciate help and advice. As you probably can tell I am not at all comfortable with UNIX and would much rather accomplish this using ORADIM73. Thank You in advance.
Mike