Re: what IS the status of Oracle on Linux?

From: David T. Bath <david.bath_at_nre.vic.gov.au>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 11:11:12 +0000

In article <GSGe1.30$%3.1582016_at_news.ipass.net>,   "David Sisk" <davesisk_at_ipass.net> wrote:
> There may not be a port, but there is currently an enhancement request
> asking for a Linux port. There enhancement request # is 663419. Call in a
> TAR asking that this enhancement request be implemented!

Oracle state that they cannot find any vendor willing to support it. Ye gods! They could provide their OWN distribution of Linux with the Oracle CD. They could be in total control.

I've run Oracle on Linux without hiccups for 5 years.

If I was Larry, I'd do the following:
a) Do a deal with RedHat to get a "packaged distribution" that includes

    "Oracle-8.x-x.rpm" as an installation option with "Official Redhat",     such servers being "trial installations". This would be suitable     for DBAs who want to run Linux at home, programmers who want to     learn Oracle, etc.
b) For customers wanting support, Oracle have an "Official Oracle"

    version, with an OS kernel, utilities, etc, all on the CD, and     the proviso that patching the kernel without the OK by Oracle     invalidates any warranties or support agreements. This would     have different compile-time limits. c) Advertise "Server on a CD" for the price of Oracle Workgroup

    Server.
d) Set up a performance challenge for identical boxes running:

  1. Oracle + Linux with Apache, ftpd, nfs, samba, mars netware to 10-15 users.
  2. Oracle + NT with IIS, shares, etc
  3. Microsoft SQL-Server + NT with IIS, shares, etc. e) Realize that Linux users like thin clients (such as X) with processes running on servers. This is not far from his own vision, and well away from Bill Gates. He should remember "The enemy of my enemy is my friend"

Actually, if one were to indulge in conspiracy theories, Bill Joy rather than Bill Gates is more threatened in the workstation market by the advent of Linux Oracle, at least in the short term. --

David T. Bath at home
david.bath_at_nre.vic.gov.au
Phone: +613 9500 0894 Mobile: 015 824 171 (not always on) Office: Global Consulting Ph:+613 9347 7511 Fax:+613 9347 0182