Re: nvl /min function question

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 16:26:24 GMT

A copy of this was sent to iancrozier_at_aol.com (Iancrozier) (if that email address didn't require changing) On 23 Jun 1998 14:22:46 GMT, you wrote:

>I have been trying to run a PL/SQL program where I am looking for a minimum
>value of a column in a table which is greater than a certain other value. In
>some cases I get a null value, so I would like to use nvl to change the null
>values to the same constant. So, my question, is it possible to "wrap" the nvl
>function around the min function. I have tried to use something like
>select nvl(min(A),99999) into v_A from TABLE where A > B;
>
>but that doesn't work. What should I do instead?
>
>TIA
Why doesn't it work? whats the error message? For example:

SQL> select nvl( min(dummy), 'A' ) from dual; N
-

SQL> select nvl( min(dummy), 'A' ) from dual where 1 = 0; N
-

Shows that it does work...

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Government
Herndon VA

Anti-Anti Spam Msg: if you want an answer emailed to you, you have to make it easy to get email to you. Any bounced email will be treated the same way i treat SPAM-- I delete it. Received on Tue Jun 23 1998 - 11:26:24 CDT