Re: mainframe v client/server

From: Mauro <sbffn_at_vgf.vg>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 07:57:29 GMT

On Mon, 22 Jun 1998 18:06:17 +0100, "Sean Gallivan." <s.g.p.gallivan_at_bton.ac.uk> wrote:

>yes, this question is bound to be perennial but I was wondering what were
>the most important considerations when choosing which. My reading has told
>me that mainframe is making a comeback. So ii have this feeling that you
>would choose a mainframe database if the data is fairly rudimentary but use
>a client/server if those who use it have a fair degree of expertise. Am I
>right or barking completely up the wrong tree!
>Most grateful for any guidance here.
>Sean

Why don't you put your data on the mainframe and use GUI tools on the front-end ? Large batch processing would be carried out on the big iron and your customers won't complain about the user interface.

Mainframe comeback might be caused by low tpc costs, easy management and lots of mainframe power available :).

The expertise needed for c/s versus standard mainframe includes:

- DBA on the mainframe (both cases)
- Front-end developers (both cases)
- Network analysts (both cases)

so it seems you only need people with the 'right' expertise (ie. COBOL in the mainframe-only approach, Developer2K for c/s).

I don't speak for anyone, but I think this is fairly commonplace around big IT firms...

--
Mauro.

(My return address is intentionally invalid; ROT13 is required. As someone already told this audience, my responses are not to be considered official technical support or advice.) Received on Tue Jun 23 1998 - 02:57:29 CDT