Re: SQL*NET connect string ? what SQL*NET connect string

From: Michael Krolewski <vandra_at_u.washington.edu>
Date: 1998/06/22

There are several different connection systems running on your box.

The ODBC is connected to Oracle via SQLNet. Hence the need for a specific driver. The SQLNet connection name is defined in a file call tnsnames.ora. Typically it is in <database home>\network\admin If you are connecting to the database with something like "user1/password_at_somename",
the 'somename' is the tnsname for your database.

Off the top of my head I do not recall the default connection name. But you could
create your own name for a connection. The tool is sqlneteasy (??). It is one of

the tools under the Oracle NT development tools. It defines the relationship between
the database SID, the connection protocols, and other parameters. Generally the database connection string is representative to the machine or task at
hand.

The tnsname is then inserted into the ODBC 32bit adminstration tool. Create a Oracle
database connection. The name of the connection is the tnsname associated with that
database.

Test this with the testODBC program.

Mike Krolewski