Re: Sqlnet.ora file -- shadow processes left on RDBMS server

From: Car1y78 <car1y78_at_aol.com>
Date: 23 Jun 1998 02:12:16 GMT

>Michelle Warner wrote in message <3589B1AA.DC0E6299_at_sprynet.com>...

>>Hi all. How do I set the timeout in the sqlnet.ora file. Also, what is
>>PMON and how does it work?

>David Russell wrote

>I guess you want to know how to setup dead connection detection (where after
>a pre-defined period Oracle will kill off a dead session). Set
>SQLNET.EXPIRE_TIME=XXX (WHERE XXX is the number of mins to wait). PMON is
>the Database Process Monitor, it wakes up at predefined intervals to clear
>up sessions, e.g. if a session dies on the client side it cleans up its
>state object tree.

Has anyone run into the following problem? I'm fairly new to Oracle and have been trying to determine the cause of the following.

We currently have three Oracle 7.2.3 instances running on a Solaris 2.6 Ultra2 server. Our clients are Solaris 2.5 SPARCS and Solaris 2.5.1 x86's. We also have NT4.0 clients accessing our Solaris 2.6 Oracle RDBMS.

I have tried setting up the dead connection detection in our sqlnet.ora file and we still have shadow processes on our server that cannot be tied back to any active process or session.

oracle 14978 1 0 15:34:54 ? 0:00 oraclesid (LOCAL=NO)

They do not go away unless the machine is rebooted or we kill them.

I'm wondering if the problem is at the network level (sqlnet) or PMON is not working properly.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Received on Mon Jun 22 1998 - 21:12:16 CDT