Re: Advice...

From: TurkBear <johng_at_mm.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 18:27:23 GMT

"Simon Cole" <simon_at_himalia.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>Folks,
>I've recently been given a Junior DBA post at a large insurance company.
>What would be your single most significant point of advice for a newbie like
>myself...?
>Thanks,
>Simon Cole.

First, eliminate any Senior DBAs and move up...:-) - but really, read, read, read - there are many very good books out there on Oracle Administration...Keep monitoring this, and other Oracle newsgroups--Ask questions - there are no stupid questions ( I can;t say the same thing about the answers ) - see if the DBA in charge will create a test instance for you to try stuff out - check in to Oracle's MetalLink on the web....Search the web for sites related to Oracle and check them out....Finally - ask for more money.......

Good Luck,
John Greco
Oracle DBA
MnDOT Human Resource Office
Email to : john.greco_at_dot.state.mn.us Received on Mon Jun 22 1998 - 13:27:23 CDT