Re: Oracle on Linux

From: David T. Bath <david.bath_at_nre.vic.gov.au>
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 1998 23:36:30 +0000

(casi Amor) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Does anybody now if there is an Oracle that runs on a Linux box. (or
> how to make it run on Linux ...)
>
> If you can point me to some locations that would be great !!!
>
> Thankx
>
> --Glenn

Oracle is not supported on Linux, until companies out there start screaming
for it. But you can run
SCO binaries. (I have installed 7.1 and 7.3 with no problems once they are
installed. If V8 for SCO
uses shared libraries that do not exist on Linux, then there may be a problem).
# BRIEF ORACLE ON LINUX NOTES
# AGAIN DO NOT MAIL ME ABOUT ORACLE ON LINUX
Again, if you have a SCO Oracle, the best thing to do is install it ON YOUR SCO (the install scripts
break when run under Linux) then
# Install at load iBCS2 kernel module on your linux box
# If compiling, disable the Xenix/286 option
#From your SCO box...

mount linuxbox:/ /linuxbox # NFS mount
# Co-ordinate oracle, dba, etc user/group ids
cd $ORACLE_BASE # typically /usr/oracle find . -print | cpio -pvdm /linuxbox/usr/oracle

# IF YOU HAVE NO SCO BOX

mount /cdrom # SCO Oracle 7.3 Workgroup cd cd /cdrom
# Make your $ORACLE_BASE directory tree as usual
find . -print | cpio -pvdm /usr/oracle/product/7.3.2.2.0
#use $ORACLE_HOME/bin/oiuncomp to uncompress files as required
# Translate names during uncompression using YMTRANS.TBL files on the CD

# i.e. sed script piped to shell should do it
# Create/edit /etc/oratab, /etc/listener.ora, ......
# Delete /usr/oracle/data/$ORACLE_SID/*
# Get your protection/ownership right
# Use svrmgrl to create your database the usual way
If you want to X tools, MAKE SURE YOU HAVE RECENT LESSTIF INSTALLED You should also FULLY QUALIFY your DISPLAY variable i.e. 202.14.64.68:0.0

--

David T. Bath at home
david.bath_at_nre.vic.gov.au