Re: Cascade Update?

From: <Markz_at_starnet.lenfest.com>
Date: 1998/06/19

If you can purchase or otherwise get a hold of "Oracle PL/SQL Programming" by Scott Urman, you will find you answer on pages 259 forward. You are also be able to get the example source code (chapter 5) from http://www.osborne.com/oracle/source.htm. It won't be explained as it would be in tht book, but you probably can use this as a template.

On Tue, 16 Jun 1998 21:48:49 GMT, "René Guitar" <rene.guitar_at_videotron.ca> wrote:

>Hello everybody!
>
>Since i've got a new job and get introduce to Oracle, my boss now want
>me to "think" of a little problem for updating records in a new database
>we will implement.
>
>The problem is when you have a parent table with childs and you want to
>update a primary key record on a cascade base, Oracle will not let you
>modify child table because you have "mutate" the parent table.
>
>Parent_Table
>(Name varchar2(20), -Primary key
> ...other records...)
>
>Child_Table
>(Name varchar2(20), -Link to Name in the Parent_table
>...other records...)
>
>In this little example, i cannot go into the Parent_Table, do an Update
>on the Name record and then go down and change the same record in the
>Child_Table.
>
>So, before going deeper into this problem i want to know if anybody has
>face this situation and if you can provide me some useful information
>(Web Site, book, package, ideas, etc.) that can help me solve this
>situation.
>
>Thanx in advance!
>
>René

MarK Z, 6b, rhymingly Received on Fri Jun 19 1998 - 00:00:00 CDT