Re: Is there a Linux Client of Oracle

From: Hasso Bryck <hasso_at_korel.ee>
Date: 19 Jun 1998 20:56:03 GMT

> I suggested a way for Oracle to port their database to Linux and
> support it some weeks ago that basically goes like this:
Err... You could use Oracle for SCO under Linux. Year or two ago was there even a HOWTO
in Usenet describing this procedure.
Basically, you need two things - IBCS installed on your Linux box and couple of SCO kernel-linking
stuff from some friendly SCO admin's ... :-)

Then you can fetch 60-days trial version of Oracle from oracle www/ftp site and just install it.
The relinking procedure was a little bit tricky, but just monitor install.log file and give oracle the
binaries it wants (it uses some stripped-down versions of linker and such things - SCO unix
needs kernel relinking when conf changes and every SCO system has those binaries)
I managed to install some utils with only linux linker/make/as utils, just created missing links
a la "ln -s /bin/ld /etc/idld" or something...

btw, IBCS works perfectly with most SCO binaries - i installed financial software Concorde XAL
for SCO on linux box and it still works - with 10 heavy users... no craches, memory vialoations except XAL's own bugs :-) I hadn't used Oracle for SCO and Linux combinatiosn in productions, but i'll bet it will work and
you have more trouble with Oracle own bugs than Linux/IBCS emulation.

Hasso Bryck.
tech. consult
Korel SYS Ltd. Received on Fri Jun 19 1998 - 15:56:03 CDT