Re: Is there a Linux Client of Oracle

From: Bjorn Borud <borud_at_guardian.no>
Date: 19 Jun 1998 16:49:02 +0200

[joelga_at_pebble.org (Joel Garry)]

| I can't believe that support would be worse than NT. Any unix has
| less insulation between what is happening and the user than NT, and
| Linux is better than most unix in that respect. Crossover from
| other unix (and perhaps the new grads) is certainly easier than to
| NT. The only "nightmare" would come from modified OS's, and Oracle
| really could be better at differentiating when it has a problem
| vs. the OS. Of course, this isn't much of a problem since Oracle
| takes over a lot of OS functions anyways. Oracle could simply say
| they will only support on certain unmodified linux versions,
| although that would be a copout.

I suggested a way for Oracle to port their database to Linux and support it some weeks ago that basically goes like this:

  1. hire a bunch of people to port Oracle to Linux.
  2. once the port is ready for release, assign a couple of the developers to support.
  3. these support-people do support _solely_ on a USENET group and for free.

money simply can't buy the goodwill they would gain from this and you can bet that other companies would follow once the journalists can come up with the appropriate buzzwords to describe it.

if Larry could be made to admit that the idea is a good one it would spring into reality all by itself by sheer will to score brownie- points with him among his tie-wearing marketroids.

-Bjørn
--

 Bjørn Borud <borud_at_guardian.no>       | "The Net interprets censorship
 <URL:http://www.pvv.unit.no/~borud/>  | as damage and routes around it."