Re: Is there a Linux Client of Oracle

From: Bjorn Borud <borud_at_guardian.no>
Date: 19 Jun 1998 16:22:31 +0200

["Kevin P. Fleming" <kfleming_at_access-laserpress.com>]

| But instead they just use Solaris and/or Windows NT, so this doesn't
| affect Oracle negatively at all. There's no financial reason for Oracle
| to produce a Linux version of the Oracle server or client software, and
| the support hassles would be even more of a nightmare than supporting
| the NT platform.

I wrote a lengtly piece on Oracle for Linux and the support-issues involved a few weeks ago. I see no reason to repeat myself, so if you are interested in what I had to say check Dejanews.

to sum it up:

  1. Oracle will port their database to Linux. it is only a question of when.
  2. Support for Linux *cannot* be compared to support for any commercial OS because an Open Source piece of software changes significant parameters in the equation, and it is likely that it would cost Oracle A LOT less to support Linux than say Solaris. (if you wonder why I came to this conclusion, check the posting. actually I receieved some email from Oracle employees who said that they thought I was absolutely right, but that their marketroids probably were too dumb to see that they could save gobs of money and at the same time get a LOT of positive attention)

unfortunately this is a somewhat religious issue and both supporters and opponents of Oracle for Linux have contributed little else than flames, stupid assumptions and lack of insight.

while the Linux defenders are often somewhat childish and reminiscent of the Amiga crowd, many of the database people who object to the idea of running Oracle under Linux seem to be professionally over the hill and in dire need for a technology update.

-Bjørn
--

 Bjørn Borud <borud_at_guardian.no>       | "The Net interprets censorship
 <URL:http://www.pvv.unit.no/~borud/>  | as damage and routes around it."