Re: To become a DBA

From: SquidKiller <SquidKiller_at_inameNOSPAM.com>
Date: 1998/06/18

Francoise wrote in message <6m8fba$9eo_at_news.u-bordeaux.fr>...
>Hi,
>
>I have to manage Oracle databases on Unix servers. The Oracle version is
>7.3 and will 8 in few months.
>I use MS-Access SQL language, and I used Oracle 6 SQL*Plus.
>Is it necessary to know PL/SQL ?
>And SQL*Plus ?

You should know SQL*Plus/SQL inside out and backwards, but as long as you know basic PL/SQL (writing triggers and basic procedures) you should be fine. I don't know C, Perl, Java, C++, or VB, but I_am_ a Certified Oracle DBA making a _very_ nice living as a consultant only knowing Oracle, VMS, Unix, and Bourne/Korn shell. The benefit to knowing more PL/SQL and other languages is that you can get hired as a developer/DBA and get a higher rate than just a DBA. But _just_ a DBA is good for me.

Alan V Received on Thu Jun 18 1998 - 00:00:00 CDT