sql join

From: <chris_at_ultramedia.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 15:10:01 GMT

Hi,

I have a table where the primary key is made up from ID_let - char(1) *and* ID_num - number(3) e.g. R57, R34, S57, T23

...in order to use a particular product they require 1 single primary key to enable import (they are unable to join)....

is it possible to create a field that is implemented in the same way as a spreadsheet...i.e. it always takes the values of other fields..even if they are updated?

Failing that, I have created the extra field..but how do I do the following   update Mytable
  set new_ID =
  select (char_key1 + num_key2)
  from othertable;

cos that doesn't work :-(