Multiple Instance Database

From: opus <opus_at_nospam.ca>
Date: 1998/06/17

Hello all,

I've always had single instance databases set up and I now have a need to put multiple instances on a single server. Anyone have any thoughts on the best way to do this as far as datafiles etc... go. Let's say I create a second instance - you can spread the datafiles out across the same mount points (and disk drives) as the first instance but then if 1 drive fails both instances are gone until restored. The other way is to use different mounts points (and disk drives) and then if I lose a drive I only lose 1 instance until restored. We don't run RAID or anything like that. But I think the caveat of the second way is I'll lose some performance perhaps as I'll have less drives to work with within each instance. If anyone has some thoughts on this then please respond to the newsgroups ... thanks Received on Wed Jun 17 1998 - 00:00:00 CDT