Re: Scripts to re-create all elements

From: <mpir_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998 13:59:59 GMT

If I understand your question, the problem is that your comments are data in the data dictionary. The index file approach will recreate the dictionary, but not its contents, per se.

Editing export files is not supported by ORACLE. Some editors (in the old days, Wordstar in data mode, etc) can read/manipulate them, but doing so is at your own risk (Larry Elison will disavow any knowledge of your action.) (The problem is that there are lots of binary/integer numbers for field lengths that editor's today can interpret as end of file or automatically correct to printable characters, destroying the contents for Oracle.) If you have an editor that can read the file, then you will see that it is really nothing more than pre-SQL87 almost proprietary sql. Data can be retrieved for the various tables (including the data dictionary) using cut/delete/paste, if you are careful about string length.

The side problem is that this is not practical for large database or small editors.

You could try doing an import from a data export of the dictionary tables, or writing a script to extract the dictionary tables to an ascii file.