Access and Oracle

From: Kinna Patel <kinna_at_qmark.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998 11:03:39 GMT

I am currently looking into Oracle with the intention of converting our existing Access database into an Oracle one.

I will be using ODBC to connect to the Oracle database and will then need to write my own C++ code to convert from Access to Oracle. This is because we need this functionality to be in a product we are producing. This means that we are unable to use any existing tools for this.

My question is I need to be pointed in the right direction of where I can find information on an Oracle database ie what are the field types, what can/can't be used for field names, are there any constraints in the conversion (ie does an Oracle database support all the field types available in Access). Are there any limits to the size of a table/field?

Any help would be appreciated on this. Received on Wed Jun 17 1998 - 06:03:39 CDT