Re: Can "carriage returns" be in a VARCHAR(2000) or LONG?

From: Craig Nelson <cnelson_at_127.0.0.1>
Date: 17 Jun 1998 09:59:26 GMT

Sean Dolan (dolans_at_stripe.Colorado.EDU) wrote:
: I migrated a large database from MS Access 97 to Oracle 7.3.4 on
: Windows NT 4.0. The field in Access was a MEMO field and the Oracle
: field is a LONG type. Some of the records in those MEMO fields contained
: carriage returns (like two paragraphs seperated with a return). Does
: that carriage return get stored in Oracle fields as well? Or do i need
: to do something prior to migration?

Yes. I just completed a huge data migration to Oracle, and I found the carriage returns migrated between systems (using the Varchar2 type in Oracle). It's easy to patch tho...

update <Table> set <ColumnName> = Replace(<ColumnName>,Chr(10),' ') where <condition>

 --
  Craig Nelson
  cnelson[at]clark.net   Received on Wed Jun 17 1998 - 04:59:26 CDT