Re: Please help - connecting through ODBC.

From: Jonathan Gennick <gennick_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998 00:37:20 GMT

On 16 Jun 1998 15:20:13 EDT, "§ ¥ ¤¤¤¤ Ö §" <matwest_at_concentric.net> wrote:

>I've got the client machine talking to Oracle over the network, but the
>problem is that when I connect to Oracle, I can see ALL the databases
>(schemas?).

You might be getting your terminology mixed up a bit. In Oracle, a "schema" is the set of tables owned by one user. One "database" can contain many users, therefore many schemas.

>Can anybody tell me how I set up a Service Name to show the tables for only
>one database? I gather it has to do with assigning the proper SID, but I
>can't figure it out beyond that.

With ODBC, you should only see the tables in one "database". Depending on how you have security set up, you may see tables owned by other users, i.e. in other "schemas". When I log onto my Oracle database using ODBC Test, and with a normal user, and click the "All Tables" button, I see the DEMO tables and a large number of ALL_xxx tables owned by user SYS. Is that what you are seeing? The ALL_xxx tables are really views that Oracle makes available to every user. They don't present a security problem, because they only let you see information about objects that you own, or to which you have been granted access.

regards,

Jonathan Gennick Received on Tue Jun 16 1998 - 19:37:20 CDT