Re: Where are my log files??

From: George Dau <gedau_at_pobox.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 22:30:44 GMT

stuco_at_mailcity.com wrote:

]I have just taken resposibility for an Oracle 7.3.3 database on a UNIX
]machine (AIX), but I can't find my alert log or any of my background trace
]files. The pfile says they are in a certain locatio, but they are not there.
]What I do find is the result of a cron job that appends the previous day's
]alert log to a .sav file and a properly named alert log file that remains at
]zero bytes the entire day. The .sav file does however contain entries for the
]previous day, even though I cannot view them before that time.

Please post the script that does the append. It is quite possible that it deletes that it deletes the alert log but Oracle still has it open. In this case you will not see the file in an ls listing, but it will still be taking up disk space and Oracle will still be writing to it.

A reasonable way to move such files (yes, I know you can loose data with this method because there is a window between the cp and dev null where data could be written to the file and lost, but I can live with that.)

cp log.file log.file.old
cat /dev/null>log.file

Does Oracle respond to a HUP? I don't know. If it does, you might be able to kill -HUP the Oracle processes and get them writing to the new alert file. If now, you might have to shut down and restart the database.

--

 ,-,_|\   George Dau,                                             __
/    * \  Unix (Solaris, DEC Unix, Linux), Oracle, Internet.     (OO)