possible dual table problem

From: David Doll <djd_at_saul10.u.washington.edu>
Date: 16 Jun 1998 15:41:07 -0700

Hello, while doing research on the INSTR function, I ran across the following example on the web:

SELECT INSTR('CORPORATE FLOOR','OR', 3, 2) "Instring"

        FROM DUAL which they said returns:

Instring

        14

when I tried this on my system (SQL*Plus: Release 8.0.3.0.0 on a wintel box running NT4.0, sp3 connected to my server (Oracle7 Server Release 7.2.3.0.0) on a sun unix box, I get back:

Instring

        14
        14

this isn't the same, so I then do a select sysdate from dual and get back two dates:

SQL> select sysdate from dual;

SYSDATE

16-JUN-98
16-JUN-98 SQL> then I tried select * from dual and got:

I'm guessing something is wrong. Can anyone enlighten me as to what is going on and or how to fix it. What litte in the way of docs I have was of no help... Thanks for your time and help.

David Received on Tue Jun 16 1998 - 17:41:07 CDT