Re: 2000 character limitation problem

From: Dawn Myfanwy Cohen <dcohen_at_aramis.rutgers.edu>
Date: 16 Jun 1998 16:31:16 -0400

keathley_at_writeme.com writes:

>Any help will be greatly appreciated:

>I have defined a table in my Oracle db with the following schema:
> test(a varchar2(2) not null, b long)
>Where a is my identifier and b is of type long.
>My problem is this, Long can support up to 2gb of data, but I
>am unable to enter anything over 2000 characters because of
>Oracle's 2000 max chars on quoted strings. Triggers and Functions
>have proven useless. Please help!!!

>Thanks,

The way I've figured out to deal with this is to write little PL/SQL procedures to update the string a bit at a time. I.e. read in the first 2000 chars, add this to the database, read in the next 2000 chars, in the pl/sql procedure, read in the string so far, from the database, append the new 2000 chars, save in the database, read in the next 2000 chars, etc.

Of course, PL/SQL can only take a 32,000 char varchar2, but that's better than 2000. Received on Tue Jun 16 1998 - 15:31:16 CDT