Re: using conditions in sql*plus

From: Dennis Wetherell <dwether_at_mail.arco.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 15:17:03 GMT

PL/SQL is your most flexible option as George suggested, but if all you need is stop when wrong version, continue when correct version you could use the SQL*Plus WHENEVER SQLERROR command as in the following example.

WHENEVER SQLERROR EXIT ROLLBACK
declare

   tmp_version varchar2(30); begin

   select client_version into tmp_version from version_table where client_version =

   required_version;
end;
/

if the where clause fails, SQL*Plus terminates immediately, if it doesn't, processing continues. Drawback to this is that if an error encountered during execution of remainder of code, execution will terminate imediately at that point.

Check out your SQL*Plus manual for full documentation and other parameters to the WHENEVER command;

Dennis Wetherell
dwether_at_mail.arco.com

George Tsiamitas <gtsiam_at_link-systems.gr> wrote in article <01bd9868$846e8c20$866542c3_at_GT.link-systems.gr>...