Re: more pl/sql question

From: TurkBear <johng_at_mm.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 14:15:49 GMT

Its tough to work with someone else's badly designed stuff, isn't it...

If there is always a space ( and only one space) between the sql_ids in the returned row, then it would be possible to use the instr function to parse out the substrings form the row...use the value of the first one plus 1 to set the start value for the next....

for example
instr(row_1,1,' ') will return a number representing the first space

                   in the field - use this in a substr
function to get the actual value:
substr(row_1,1,value_returned_above -1) then
                   instr(row_1,value_returned_above+1,' ')
                   will get the next space position; use
                   it in the next substr......
                   do this until instr() returns 0 at which point
                   use substr(row_1,last_value_returned+1)
                   to get the last part of the string....

This is not easy and is fraught with possible errors, but I don't know of another way to get the values you need for your subsequent where clause....
Btw,
( I would use the technique above to create a view of the table   and use the view in the where clause)

Email me at john.greco_at_dot.state.mn.us with questions....