Moving from UNIX to NT

From: Nigel Wingate <nwingate_at_mr.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 1998 22:09:53 GMT

I have a task to move an Oracle 7.3.3 database from a DG-UNIX server to an NT 4.0 Server. The database is accessed by the users via Procomm 3 (Telnet) based on NT Workstations. Surrounding the database are some 300 C Shell scripts, some of which call Micro Focus COBOL programs with embedded SQL which finally accesses the database.

Has anyone out there done something similar? I'm really looking for possible pitfalls and to make sure I don't overlook anything. The tasks I foresee are:

Install Oracle on the NT Server
Export the database structure and data
Convert all the C Shell scripts to Korn Shell (which will then run via MKS Toolkit) and also make adjustments for paths, etc. Recompile the COBOL programs to run on NT. Test all the functionality
Go live with the new machine

There has to be more to it than that, so anyone who can help, your input would be greatly appreciated. Also, if there is any Web based documentation around, please point me in the right direction. Received on Sat Jun 13 1998 - 17:09:53 CDT