Moving Oracle from UNIX to NT

From: Nigel Wingate <nwingate_at_mr.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 1998 22:09:28 GMT

I have been given a task to move an Oracle database from a DG-UNIX server to an NT server. The database is accessed by the users from NT Workstations via Procomm 3 (Telnet) and a series of menus.

The database itself is accessed by some 300 C Shell scripts which call MicroFocus COBOL programs which have embedded SQL in them.

I wonder if anyone out there has done something similar in the past and can point out any pitfalls or, even better, a proven methodology for carrying out the task.

I foresee the following jobs:

Install Oracle on NT
Export the existing database to NT
Re-compile all the COBOL programs for NT Convert the shell scripts to Korn Shell so they can run under MKS Toolkit on NT. Also adjust scripts for new paths, disks, directories, etc
Test new system until it replicates old one Go live

I'm sure there is more to it than this and if anyone can help, I'd love to hear from you. I can't be the first to do this and if there is any Web based documentation on how to do it, please point me in that direction. Received on Sat Jun 13 1998 - 17:09:28 CDT