Re: DBMS_ALERT

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1998/06/12

A copy of this was sent to marcdesbordes_at_my-dejanews.com (if that email address didn't require changing) On Fri, 12 Jun 1998 10:54:47 GMT, you wrote:

>Hello All,
>
>I am trying to use DBMS_ALERT with Pro*C.
>
>The SIGNAL is sent from a trigger in the database and the WAITONE is executed
>in the Pro*C program.
>
>I don't catch any Alert when I generate a Signal from the database, what's
>wrong? Is there any particular thing I should do?
>
>Note : I am using Oracle 7.x on a Unix machine.
>
>Thanks for any suggestion,
>
>Marc

>http://www.dejanews.com/ Now offering spam-free web-based newsreading

Are you by any chance missing the 'commit' that actually sends the alert? To test if dbms_alert is working for you, please run the following example using 2 sqlplus windows. In window one, execute:

SQL> declare

  2     status    number;
  3     msg       varchar2(255);
  4  begin
  5     dbms_alert.register( 'MyAlert' );
  6     dbms_alert.waitone( 'MyAlert', msg, status );
  7 end;
  8 /

That will block. Goto another window and in another sqlplus session enter:

SQL> exec dbms_alert.signal( 'MyAlert', NULL );

The first window will still be blocked. Now, in that second window issue:

SQL> commit;

The first window should become unblocked and print out 'PL/SQL procedure successfully completed'...

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Government
Herndon VA

Anti-Anti Spam Msg: if you want an answer emailed to you, you have to make it easy to get email to you. Any bounced email will be treated the same way i treat SPAM-- I delete it. Received on Fri Jun 12 1998 - 00:00:00 CDT