Re: listener confusion

From: Joel Garry <joelga_at_pebble.org>
Date: 1998/06/11

On Wed, 10 Jun 1998 12:45:15 -0400, David Freitag <dovidf_at_net2phone.com> wrote:
>We had Oracle installed on a Sun cpu named Sun1 with ip xxx.xxx.xxx.2. We
>transferred the database to a new High Availability machine with 2 computers
>which we renamed the common name to Sun1 and changed the ip to the old
>machines ip xxx.xxx.xxx.2. The old machine was renamed to Sun2 and its ip
>was changed to xxx.xxx.xxx.3. Our main database is now running on Sun1 and
>the listener is turned only on Sun1. When we turn on a test database on Sun2
>which has had its sid and database renamed, users that log onto the live
>database at Sun1 get logged into the test database on Sun2 even though the
>names are different, the ip addresses are different, the sids are different
>and the database names are different. No symbolic names are used either in
>listener.ora or tnsnames.ora. There are only hard coded ip addresses. Why is
>the live listener logging users into the test system? Any help would be

Perhaps they have a .login reference to an old corenv, users modified ORACLE_SID when they should have done TWO_TASK, or a /var/opt/oracle/oratab is confusing things.

--
These opinions are my own and not necessarily those of Information Quest
or Pebble In The Sky                     http://www.informationquest.com