Re: Database Opened in Exclusive Mode

From: Brian Cadwell <brian_at_cadwb.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 23:00:08 GMT

Since you don't say what operating system you use here are a few ideas if it's unix:

Check for any shared memory segments owned by oracle. Use the ipcrm command to get rid of them if your're sure yoyur instance is down and you don't have any others.

Make sure it IS your only instance do a "ps -ef | grep ora_" and kill any processes you find. Then go back to the above

I think I'm right in saying that you can still use server manager ( ie svrmgrl ) under Oracle 8 - try starting up with this instead. make sure your init.ora file is ok - if in doubt create a new one and use the pfile= keyword on startup

Have you got parallel server configured - if so check your instance numbers and names in the init.ora files

Are you sure it shut down properly the first time? This would happen if you tried to start up your database whilst it was still running

I'm guessing now as I don't normally use Instance Manager - have you accidentially clicked a checkbox that does the equivalent of a "Startup SHARED" ? - this only works with parallel server.

If all else fails ( I'm sure you've tried this but who knows...) look at the contents of the alert log in your BACKGROUND_DUMP_DEST directory for more clues - it may contain the REAL oracle error you're getting.

BC

Bill Buchan <bbuchan_at_ossian.net> wrote in article <6lp0od$4lb$1_at_phys-ma.sol.co.uk>...