Re: Stand-alone Oracle Names

From: Thomas Vanya <twvanya_at_eastman.com>
Date: 5 Jun 1998 19:51:42 GMT

I have always run Oracle Names on the same box as the database that contains the Oracle Names data. Of course, that is not a requirement as I also run Names on other nodes for redundancy. I would think there would be possible licensing issues as Oracle Names comes as part of SQLNet. I don't know that you can purchase standalone SQLNet with Oracle Names without purchasing a complete Server license as well. You would have to install SQLNet as well since Oracle Names must make an initial connection to an Oracle database in order to load the SQLNet connection information for the other Oracle databases to which you wish to connect. --
Thomas W. Vanya
Database Administrator
Eastman Chemical Company

Dean Mah <dmah_at_acs.ucalgary.ca> wrote in article <6kv39v$a9k_at_ds2.acs.ucalgary.ca>...