Re: how do i change the NLS_CHARACTERSET -inside- a DB

From: Thies C. Arntzen <thies_at_digicol.de>
Date: Fri, 05 Jun 1998 12:15:09 +0200

Michael S. Abbey wrote:

> On Thu, 04 Jun 1998 18:17:01 +0200, "Thies C. Arntzen"
> <thies_at_digicol.de> wrote:
>
> >hmm,
> >i got a database in front of me (8.0.4) which is set to WE8ISO8859P9 as
> >it's character set, i now want to change this to WE8ISO8859P1 (for
> >western europe). there are no P9 specific chars in the DB so i won't
> >loose anything! - but i NEED to switch to P1 in order to get some weird
> >german typographics-apostophes in and out.
> >
> >i heard of some undocumeted thing that allows one to do this, can
> >anybody help me?!?!?
> >
> >regards,
> >tc
> >
> >PS: a copy thru e-mail would be nice....
>
> While logged on as sys enter the following command
>
> update props$ set value$= 'WE8ISO8859P1' where name =
> 'NLS_CHARACTERSET';
thanx, but.......this doesn't work with oracle 8.x ;-))) (the props$ table is still there and you can change the value, but you cannot start the DB afterwards;-) spoke to oracle support, they confirmed this (and said it was possible to do so with 7.x). they said it might be possible with alter database.... but i don't know the heck how to do that....

anybody solved this problem before (with oracle 8.x)?!?!?!

regards,
tc