Re: DBD::ORACLE and date fields

From: Christian Kirsch <kirsch_at_akademie.de>
Date: 1998/06/04

John D Groenveld wrote:
> my $sql = "INSERT INTO foobar VALUES (?, TO_DATE(?, 'YYYYMMDD'))";
> my $sth = $dbh->prepare($sql)
> or die "$DBI::err: $DBI::errstr\n";
> $sth->execute(1,'19991231')
> or die "$DBI::err: $DBI::errstr\n";

I take this somewhat terse posting as an explaination of the date formatting
problem.
My original remark was that Oracle seems to be a bit restrictive, funny, whatever, in this context. This remark is still valid. At least in Germany, we have one single date format: 'DD.MM.YYYY', sometimes abbreviated to 'DD.MM.YY' when the 1900 <= YY < 2000. I still find it incomprehensible, why Oracle refuses to accept this quite simple thing as a valid date, when I set the whole environment stuff to German.

Christian Received on Thu Jun 04 1998 - 00:00:00 CDT