Re: Connect MS Access to Oracle

From: Michael Krolewski <vandra_at_u.washington.edu>
Date: Thu, 04 Jun 1998 00:54:32 -0700

You have a bit of studying to do.

ODBC is the transport layer for transfering commands and data back and forth. ODBC connects from MS Access via SQLNet. It provides as the name state -- Open DataBase Connection -- by providing a common (read minimal) set of SQL commands that can be exchanged between applications. It is not a fast or as elaborate as native communication
protocols.

SQL Net client drivers must be on the machine. This layer coordinates transmissions between the programs. SQLNet is a innovation in that one can connect to any Oracle database via this layer independent of the OS and underlying physical connections.

TCP/IP is the underlying layer. Actually Oracle via SQLNet can support several different protocols including pipes, NetBuie (sp?), IPX (novell). This the physical transport layer.

Mike Krolewski