IMP error - URGENT HELP NEEDED!!!

From: <katoz_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 1998 19:27:50 GMT

A little background. We are in the midst of transferring our database from SGI machines to HP9000/V2200 (from Oracle 7.3 to Oracle 8.04 respectively). An export file was created from the Oracle 7.3 db on the SGI. It was +2GB uncompressed, -2GB compressed. The compressed file was ftp'd to the HP box. The file was attempted to be uncompressed but due to an operating system parameter that didn't allow files greater than 2GB, it wouldn't uncompress. Once the parameter was changed, the file was uncompressed successfully.

Now the problem. When the DBA attempted to import the +2GB export file into the Oracle 8.04 database, he received the following errors:

Import: Release 8.0.4.0.0 - Production on Wed Jun 3 8:7:2 1998

(c) Copyright 1997 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.

Username: sys
Password:

Connected to: Oracle8 Enterprise Edition Release 8.0.4.0.0S - Production PL/SQL Release 8.0.4.0.0S - Production

IMP-00002: failed to open pacb.bus_product_rows.dmp for read IMP-00021: operating system error - error code (dec 72, hex 0x48)

Now for the question. Any ideas on what is causing the operating system error? Does Oracle 8.04 not like dump files greater than 2GB? Smaller export files have been successfully transferred and imported, so there doesn't seem to be a problem with the compatibility of SGI/7.3 and HP/8.04 combinations. Currently, the DBA is saying it's a system problem but the sys admins aren't familiar enough with the inner workings & requirements of Oracle to have any idea where to even start troubleshooting this problem.

I don't believe the size of the file has anything to do with it but I'm not familiar enough with Oracle8 to have any reasons to back that up. I checked the db_block_size on both machines and they differ (8192 on the old, 16384 on the new). The DBA said he has been able to import other dumps successfully.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!
Kim