Re: Minimal Client Installation - Oracle8

From: Derek McGavigan <dmcgavigan_at_email.msn.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 1998 23:25:42 +0100

Troy Perchotte wrote in message
<356F1D35.1CE9CF34_at_nospamdigitalcourier.com>...
>To my horror, I found that when I installed Oracle client onto a user's
>PC, it seemed to be installing tons of programs that my user won't ever
>need.

I know it's a pain in the arse!

>What components do I need to install or what do other people install on
>their user machines?

That obviously depends what you want to do.

If you want to access an instance through VB say and you're using the ORADC (oracle data control) then all you need is SQLNet vX.XX (I'm still on Oracle 7.3.3) , but the client will install lots of support files too, the mimum I got this down to was about 20MB!

If you are using ODBC, then you will need SQLNet and ODBC drivers.

>I am running Oracle8 on an NT4 Server connect to Win95 PCs via TCP/IP.
>
>Troy Perchotte

If anyone gets back to you with a better suggestion, please drop me a mail at dmcgavigan_at_msn.com
Good Luck

Derek
EDINBURGH, SCOTLAND Received on Tue Jun 02 1998 - 17:25:42 CDT