Re: Load multilingual data in a Unicode Database

From: Patrick Drouin <patrick.drouin_at_remove_this.nortel.com>
Date: 1998/06/01

Hello Christine,

 I had to fight with this for a looong time before I figured it out. I was trying to get data from Unicode to the other languages (7 in our cases...).

 Here's the trick : set up your NLS_LANG parameter to the character set you are trying to load (it might not be useful for impoting data but it is crucial for extracting it). THEN, look at you Oracle book for a function called CONVERT which will take a string in a charset and convert it to the other. For example :

 convert(tstr,'AL24UTFFSS','WE8ISO8859P1') (Euro languages)  convert(tstr,'AL24UTFFSS','ZHS16CGB231280') (Simplified Chinese)

 Let me know if this works out!
 Ciao, P