Moving Oracle Database Files....

From: <peterwiley_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 1998 01:22:45 GMT

Hi.

We've just been refitting our ship, and wrote all data from our servers to tape first. Given the length of time of the refit, and the time available, disk space etc etc we didn't export the database to ASCII, just shut it down & did a backup from NT.

I want to get this database back up on a different machine at headquarters. The machine at HQ has the same version of Oracle, same O/S release etc, but it has a different filesystem layout and there's no way of making it look the same as the original machine.

What I want to do is copy the files from tape, with those on the old C: drive now on F: drive, and those on D: drive also on F: drive. Is there any way of doing this, or am I wasting my time? I have all the control and initialisation files.

Oracle release is 7.3.2.3.1 on NT Server 4.0 SP3.

TIA. Regards, Peter Wiley

(Don't tell me I should use unix and ln -s; I know. But that's a political decision)