Re: Pers ORACLE 8 Install support SUCKS

From: Joel R. Kallman <jkallman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Sat, 30 May 1998 13:04:50 GMT

Ricardo,

On Fri, 29 May 1998 15:51:46 -0700, Ricardo Birmele <rbirm_at_sprynet.com> wrote:

>I just bought Personal Oracle 8, and I'm trying to install it.
>It hangs every time! Seems the install routine can't find a file
>called "tracesvr80.map." Oh yes, there are two copies of
>"tracesvr.map" on the CD-ROM.
>
>It's bad enough that the install routine is broken...trying to
>get through to the yuppies at ORACLE is next to impossible.
>
>Brother!
>
>I should have gone with SQL Server.
>
>__Birm
>
>--
>Ricardo Birmele | The older I get...
>birm_at_olex.com | the better I was.

Following is the explanation for your problem. As well, please take note of the phrase "For help in troubleshooting why a CD-ROM is running in DOS compatible mode contact Microsoft Technical Support".

If, after reading and executing this diagnosis and remedy, you still have problems installing Personal Oracle8, please feel free to e-mail this "yuppie".

Problem Description:

When you attempt install Personal Oracle 8 for Windows 95, the following error is reported and the installation fails.

trace svr80.map (0): file_not_found while mapping tracesvr80

Problem Explanation:

When a Windows 95 machine is in DOS COMPATIBILITY MODE, it is unable to read the long filename of TRACESVR80 and its directory from the Oracle distribution media.

You can determine if a machine is running in compatible mode by right-clicking on MY COMPUTER, choosing PROPERTIES, and then selecting the PERFORMANCE tab. This will bring up a window that tells you which drives, if any, are running in compatible mode, or if your machine is running a complete 32-bit FileSystem.

Problem References:

Personal Oracle for Windows 95 V8.0.4 Release Notes Solution Description:

DOS compatible mode may be enabled by the operating system for severalreasons:
* A boot sector virus exists on the machine * A real mode device driver exists in the CONFIG.SYS for the cd-rom and Windows 95 has no protect mode driver that can take over for it * Too many INT 13 hooks exist
* An old VxD exists for the disk controller in the SYSTEM.INI file that has no counterpart in Windows 95
* The cd-rom is an older one for which a protect mode driver simply does not exist

If a machine is running in compatible mode, a log file should be created called IOS.LOG. This will list the devices that are running in

realmode and the reason why.

For help in troubleshooting why a cd-rom is running in dos compatible mode contact Microsoft Technical Support.

Solution Explanation:

Enabling the cd-rom to run in protect mode allows the use of long filenames that exists on the Oracle CD. CD-ROM drives that run in dos compatible mode are not able to use long filenames. Thanks!

Joel

Joel R. Kallman Oracle Government, Education, & Health

Columbus, OH                             http://govt.us.oracle.com

jkallman@us.oracle.com                   http://www.oracle.com

The statements and opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Oracle Corporation. Received on Sat May 30 1998 - 08:04:50 CDT