Re: web application with ORACLE 7.3 (maybe 8) and OWS 2.1 (maybe OWA 3) - how to go back to previous page?

From: <bonanos_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 1998/05/29

> > Now the situation is this: Is it possible to keep track of the user's
> > location in the system, such that if they click a 'Cancel' button they
> > can be taken back to the Web page that the CURRENT web page was
> > generated from? Now this is a little different to being taken back to
> > the PREVIOUS page. I think this is best explained with an example:

> The problem with HTML is that it really doesn't have a concept of
> "state." You might be able to keep track of what your user is doing
> through the use of cookies but if the user has turned off cookies, then
> your in a world of hurt. It's pretty simple if the user clicks the likes
> you provide, but what happens if they simply click the "back" button to
> take them to a previous screen instead of hitting one of your carefully
> crafted links?

The easiest way to tackle the above problem is as follows:

Say you have a procedure called pay_emp(name in varchar2)

and this procedure gives you a number options ,one of which is

pay_emp_extra_bonus(empno in varchar2, amount in number )

what you can do is rewrite pay_emp_extra_bonus() to recieve the name argument in pay_emp(name in varchar2)

so the procedure will look as follows:

pay_emp_extra_bonus(empno in varchar2, amount in number, name in varchar2 )

and then write a form in the pay_emp_extra_bonus that looks something like this:

htp.formopen('pay_emp');
htp.formhidden('name',name);
htp.formsubmit;
htp.formclose;

which will take you back to the previous procedure in the same state you left it.