Re: Can Oracle alert a java applet?

From: Dave Macpherson <dave_at_fifthd.ca>
Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 16:18:04 -0600

I'm not up on my Java yet, but generically speaking, the DBMS_ALERT package exists for just this type of situration. A process can register and wait upon a named event and be guaranteed to be notified that the event has taken place. Alerts are usually triggered via database triggers, and obey commit-time rules (ie, a commit has to happen before the alert is triggered...a rollback will cancel the alert).

So the real answer to your question is...can you write a java thread that registers and waits for an Oracle alert event using Oracle's DBMS_ALERT package. I'm afraid I don't know enough about JDBC to answer this for you, but my guess would be YES.

Regards,

Dave Macpherson