maximum number of items in a list

From: Steve Rafferty <sraffert_at_umabnet.umab.edu>
Date: 27 May 1998 18:40:28 GMT

I have written an application which finishes by passing an SQL query to Oracle which looks like:

SELECT * FROM TABLE WHERE KEY IN (1,3,17,2023,50111 ... ) When the number of items in the list exceeds some number Oracle barfs and complains that the number of items is greater than 254:

ORA-01795: maximum number of expressions in a list is 254

However, I have successfully retrieved lists of greater than 900 items -- I suspect that the maximum number may be more like 1000 (1024?) and that the 254 is legacy from a previous version.

Does anyone know what the limit is exactly?

I'm running Oracle8.0.3 on Solaris 2.5.1.

TIA, Steve Received on Wed May 27 1998 - 13:40:28 CDT