Re: Experiences with Developer/2000 Server?

From: David Novice <dnovice_at_cisco.com>
Date: 1998/05/26

John Dunn wrote:

> Greetings:
>
> I'm looking at web-enabling access to our 7.3 database on NT 3.51. We
> use Dev/2000 already and am interested in getting feedback from anyone
> who's used (or looked at) the Developer/2000 Server.
>
> Does it work? Is is easy to install and support? How easily do the
> Forms/Reports port to the server? The Dev/2000 Server apparently ships
> with Oracle's Application Server. How would that fit in with an
> existing Apache server on Linux? What other questions should I be
> asking? This needs to be easy to use and support to work in our
> environment, since we don't have alot of support resources.
>
> Any comments appreciated! TIA,
>
> John

 We've used D2k server very successfully on Solaris. I believe the NT product would be very similar.
It works. It installs typical of an Oracle product. The forms migrate trivially from the Windows world to Solaris, with only a 'generate' required. There's a few gottchas with regards to making sure the images are available when you migrate from your development environment, but it's pretty well documented.

You really don't need Oracle Application Server to deploy D2k. They are separate products, so doing it from Apache should be OK.

Reports for the web is really a different product than Forms, and I don't have as much experience with it, though we've done it. It has a different feel to it altogether, but works pretty reliably -- it never goes down, just keeps on ticking...

They've got a document "Deploying D2k on the web" or something to that affect, which is a good document to use to get an idea of what it's like to use. Received on Tue May 26 1998 - 00:00:00 CDT